How does carbon get into the soil?
Dr. Jerry Hatfield, retired Laboratory Director and Plant physiologist for the USDA Agricultural Research Service, is here with the answers.
Jerry talks us through the agricultural practices that bulk up soil carbon stocks, how you keep carbon in the soil, and the impacts of carbon sequestration.
Curious about the research Jerry mentioned in the podcast? Check out these articles:
- Soil organic carbon storage as a key function of soils – A review of drivers and indicators at various scales (Wiesmeier et al, 2019)
- Soil carbon management and climate change (Lal, 2014)
- Fungal traits important for soil aggregation (Lehmann et al, 2020)
- The importance of anabolism in microbial control over soil carbon storage (Liang et al, 2017)
- Microbial production of recalcitrant organic matter in global soils: implications for productivity and climate policy (Liang & Balser, 2011)
Rather read the transcript? Click the orange button above.